Monday, October 27, 2008

Cisneros part 2

Pleasing book to finish! I find that Cisneros' writing style to be straight from the heart. Her writing consists of a variety of narratives that are extremely convincing. She is able to portray the characters in every short story so that they are distinctive and memorable. The first few stories, "My Lucy Friend Who Smells Like Corn", "Eleven", and "Tepeyec", are written in the point of view of children and Cisneros does this very convincingly.
"I'm going to peel the scab from my knee and eat it, sneeze on the cat, give you thee M&M's I've been saving for you since yesterday, comb your hair with my fingers and braid it into teeny-tiny braids real pretty" (pg.5) She is able to show how children are so direct with their words and how they honestly they express themselves. "Well, I couldn't help but feel bad for the dip once she's dead right? I mean, after I got over being mad" (pg.40)
The later stories such as "Never Marry a Mexican" and "Bien Pretty" the narrative switches to adults who are consumed by love and loss. What I love about Cisneros' writing is her attention to detail. For example, in the story "Never Marry a Mexican" she goes into great detail describing where each gummy bear was placed and the sensation it gave to the mistress in the house. One story that seemed to stay in my mind was "There Was a Man, There was a Woman". Although it is a very short story, its simplicity and message was effective. I couldn't stop thinking how two people, who are at the same point in their lives longing for the same thing , will never meet due to the fact that they received their paychecks on different days and so will not visit the bar on the same days.

1 comment:

Juliana S said...

I like it that you mentioned the first few stories. I feel that as the reader diverges into the later stories, we forget how this book started: with kids and their naive thoguths and views on the world the adults experience later in the book. Its interesting to see the different POVs.