Sunday, September 21, 2008

El Puente de Brooklyn

It has been a while since I've read stories in Spanish so some of the vocabulary and certain phrases of the short stories held me back. Although it took me quite some time to read his short stories, I found them to be a very enjoyable read! Marti's style of writing was very artistic and beautiful. The "El Puente de Brooklyn" was immensely detailed, Marti even included the exact measurements of the bridge. In addition to details of the bridge, Marti incorporated several metaphors, similies and emotions of the people to show us how magnificent this bridge really was and how it connected everyone and everything in the city together.

I had no previous knowledge of the Brooklyn bridge and when I finished reading the I realized the importance and significance of this bridge to the people and especially to Jose Marti. You can see how connected he felt to the bridge and his fascination with the architecture. This bridge, through Marti's writing, showed us that it meant much more than its impressive physical attributes. The bridge was something symbolic that brought all of the people in the city together in awe.

Overall, I am very pleased with his work and that my vocabulary in Spanish has greatly expanded.

2 comments:

Juliana S said...

Hi!
I definetly agree about having a second thought about the Brooklyn bridge.
I've never been to NYC, so I had never though about how much a bridge could change people's lives, but now i'm definetly looking forward to visiting.

deanna-maria said...

I've seen the Brooklyn bridge and traveled over it, and really, it was nothing more than any other bridge...pretty at night with the lights and the illuminated skyline, but a bridge nonetheless. If I go back to Nuevo York now, after reading Marti, I might think differently now.